01 02 03 Where's Clair? : Excess Baggage 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Excess Baggage

34
Here we go, the 3rd of January and the first day back at the gym. The scale tells me that I’m 2 kilos heavier, but to be honest I can’t remember what weight I was before Christmas. It was an exceptional week, with Christmas, my 30th Birthday and a spectacular wedding on New Year’s Eve, so I don’t even mind the few additional pounds. “It’s Christmas” I told myself. The truth is, I still haven’t shed the few extra pounds I brought home from my All-inclusive holiday in Cancun last October and to be brutally honest, I’ve been kidding myself for months. My post Christmas diet, comprised mainly of Ferrero Rocher and Cocktails. 

Over the last few years I have done so much to improve my health, my fitness and my overall happiness, but there is still some work left to do. 2016 was tough for a number of reasons and to be truthful, a lot of my progress slowed to a halt. I am still healthier than I have been in a very long time, but it has not been quite enough. 



I have reached a point in life where I can be comfortable in my own skin, but travelling with excess baggage doesn’t come easy. I haven’t worn a bikini since I was 15 and I have always wished that I could confidently lie on a beach without covering myself with a towel. Some other cultures are also not so politically correct and in the past I’ve heard comments such as “I can tell you like to eat” from local people who were not trying to be mean, but merely making an observation. Shopping for clothes in Asia was also an interesting experience, as shopkeepers commented “In your size, not possible” or “Lady, I have big size just for You”.

So today it’s time to be honest. Yes, I have come a long way on this weight loss journey of mine, but I have certainly let my wanderlust lifestyle get in the way. My 2017 New Year’s resolution is to try to instill some routine into my life. Believe me, routine does not come easy to a girl who has 6 foreign trips planned in the next 5 months!



This year, I want to shed those last few kilos. I don’t want to change who I am, but I want to be the best possible version of myself. I don’t want to compare myself to others, but I want to be better than I have been before. In 2017, I aim to bring you along on my journey with a completely honest account of what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong. I would love for you to join me in making this year the better than before. 


Here's to 2017 and a fit a healthy year xxx
35 36 37 38